Thursday, April 15, 2010

Home made caramels...


I saw this posted at Cupcakes and Cashmere and it reminded me of the divine caramels I had at Rockpool for dessert recently. Oh they were so delicious. Everyone thought I was weird ordering caramels for dessert but when I shared them around everyone else had food envy. I must, must, must try these at home! Save me heading out for dinner to enjoy them. Kellie x


4 tablespoons unsalted butter, more for greasing pan

1½ cups heavy cream, preferably not ultrapasteurized

2 cups sugar

½ cup light corn syrup

Pinch salt

1½ teaspoons vanilla extract, optional.

1. Lightly grease a 9-inch-square baking pan. Combine all ingredients except vanilla in a broad saucepan or deep skillet and turn heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves.

2. Mixture will bubble and darken; when color is dark beige and mixture measures 235 degrees on a candy thermometer, it is butterscotch sauce. (Use immediately or refrigerate for up to several weeks; warm in a microwave oven or over hot water to soften.) To make caramels, keep cooking and stirring until mixture is even darker, nearly brown, and measures 245 degrees (or until a piece of it forms a firm ball when dropped into a glass of cold water).

3. Stir in the vanilla and pour into prepared pan. Cool, then remove from pan in a block and refrigerate, but not for too long - what you want is a mixture cool enough so that it's not too sticky, but not so cold that it's solid; this is the easiest state in which to cut and wrap.

4. Use a sharp knife to cut caramel into pieces, then wrap each square in waxed paper or plastic wrap. These keep for weeks, especially if refrigerated, but are best eaten fresh and at room temperature.

Yield: At least 50 caramels.

Recipe from here. x

15 comments:

  1. Oh I just love caramels, so delish. Must try these.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds very yummy, I'll have to give this a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh yummy! Home made caramels. I must try this recipe. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm, looking delicious. Lovely shot! Will definitely try these some day. XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum!!! I'm definitely going to try it xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious! I don't know to cook anything.
    Have a great day!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've made these from this recipe too! Be carful when making caramels...if you cook it too long they will not come out well. I love a salty sweet combo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM. thanks for this amazing post... xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kellie these look divine. Thanks for posting & thanks for posting sans the calorie count. Makes them all the more wonderful! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw this post too, eager to make these yummy caramels!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Mrs.Darcy xx